I’m thinking of taking up writing workshops again. In the olden days, I taught in bookstores and on campus extensions. Right now, I’m torn between some sort of Zoom class or using my own home in Escondido, which I would greatly prefer.
I’ve heard from quite a few of you, and most seem interested in Zoom workshops. If so, we can begin to set up a schedule. Right now, I’m thinking of this:
- Zoom workshop groups limited, perhaps to 6, although that may change.
- Either one meeting per week or one every two weeks, during which student chapters/stories, having been read by everyone before class (we won’t be reading aloud) are discussed in depth.
- For a fee, I’m thinking of $100 per class.
- If there’s enough interest, I could perhaps have two separate groups, each with the same schedule.
- Payment using PayPal (or check).
- How many meetings to attend/pay for would be up to individual members. The group membership might change as a result. We’ll see.
- Of course, the trick would be to find a meeting schedule amenable to everybody. We’re probably not all on the same time zone.
- If there are enough people in San Diego County willing to trek up to Escondido (which I know can be a pain), we could work up an in-person schedule here.
I could also to work remotely with individuals who want feedback on their work. I’m not drawn to this for two reasons:
- I’m not a book doctor or marketer or agent, so I could not promise that in the end the writer would have a publishable work.
- Workshops are the best way I know for writers to improve. Critical reading of others’ fiction sharpens your own critical skills, which are essential for all writers.
- Still, if you’re interested in doing this, let me know, and we can decide on a schedule and fee.
Since I’m contacting you on FB, please respond, if you’re interested, using Messenger, or post a reply here.